From:
Jan Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 May 2013 17:24:35 -0400
Brenda says,

<<We currently use a system in which an infant is  supplemented based on
the number of minutes at the breast, and often this  system fails. This seems
to cause infants to be supplemented with fortified  milk too often, in my
opinion. >>

Oh Brenda, I'm dying to know how many minutes = how many ml consumed.   I
can't believe anyone really truly does that.  Do they count the total  number
of minutes, or do they have a mom use a stopwatch so she's only counting
the minutes of nutritive sucking?

Does that mean I can figure out how many calories I consume by the number
of minutes I sit at the dinner table?  Or should I just use a stopwatch and
count the number of minutes I'm actually chewing?

Is this evidence based?  Whose evidence?  Oh. My.  Goodness!!!

Brenda, what on earth are you up against?  I'm simply aghast.  Is  the
grant to determine if test weighing is more accurate than number of minutes  at
the breast?  Actually, that would be a fascinating study -- I can see it
now.  Take the current standards (are they the same for every mom/baby  dyad,
or does it depend on mom's milk supply and age of baby?), and do test
weights AND have moms time the number of minutes and see what you get.

Do let us know!!

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, FILCA
Lactation Education  Consultants
Wheaton IL