From:
"Dr. Tom Hale" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 10:57:33 -0500
Dear Colleagues:

As you all know, one of the most difficult problems in doing research in breastfeeding mothers, is getting a suitable number of
patients with the exact problem you're interested in.  For this reason, I have created a website in concert with my colleague
Dr. Judy Hopkinson to collect data on breastfeeding mothers that might be interested in providing samples, or other information
to breastfeeding researchers.

We are calling it the  National Registry for Lactation Research.  It is simply a secure web site at my university which will
contain the names and addresses of breastfeeding women, with certain syndromes, or taking certain medications,  who are willing
to provide milk samples, or whatever, to qualified researchers.

The site will be secure,  only Judy and myself will have access to this data.  Qualified researchers may gain access to this
data base only through she or I, and only after we are provided certain data on the researcher.  Later this year we may create
a small committee to help us evaluate the further development of this site, and transfer of information.

So now we need your help in getting breastfeeding (or pregnant patients who are going to breastfeed)  to register.  At present
we have listed about 20 syndromes, and 19 drugs that we think are of interest.  As interest grows, we will probably add many
more syndromes and drugs of interest.

At present there is a major site in the East that registers pregnant patients for studies with the same intent, to do
research.  We hope our site will provide similar data on breastfeeding patients.

So please check it out, and have your patients register at this site... .    http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/lactreg/

On a personal note,  in November of this year I will be travelling to Australia for a 6 month research sabbatical with Dr. Ken
Ilett in Perth.  We desperately need milk samples from mothers taking Ritalin, Neurontin, or Lamotrigine.  If you know of
patients taking these medications please suggest they register so that we can collect samples.

Regards

Tom Hale, Ph.D
Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Texas Tech University School of Medicine.

http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/lactreg/