From:
Lisa Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 15:39:03 EST
The mom that I helped last year (I mentioned her the other day, she used a
nipple shield exclusively for five months) had a really hard time in the
first two months.  She was angry- at the hospital staffer who used the nipple
shield in the first place, at herself for "letting it happen", and a little
bit of anger, I imagine, at her baby for not nursing.  The mom was depressed
and frustrated, not to mention very sleep deprived because when one uses a
nipple shield for night feedings, one does not just get to roll over and
nurse half asleep.   She had not had the birth experience that she had hoped
for, either.  But after some time had passed and she started to forgive
herself and her baby for what was happening (don't know if she forgave that
nurse!), things started to turn the corner for her.  She was more relaxed
about offering the baby her bare breast, and did so at every feeding.  She
didn't "hold out" on giving him the shield if he resisted strongly.  She
talked soothingly to him and let him know that *she* knew that he could do
it.  I don't believe that she pumped to maintain her supply, she just fed
very frequently, ad lib, all day and night.  They also co-slept.  In her
heart of hearts, she knew that this baby was designed to breastfeed.  She now
endures sleepless nights of waking and teething because she is so happy to
have the kind of breastfeeding relationship that she really wanted to have
and that she knew her baby would love once he got to it.

Feel free to share these thoughts and this post with any mom whom you feel
would benefit from a BTDT (been there, done that) story.

Lisa Jones in Wellington, south Florida, USA - mom to Morgan age 6 and Ian
age 4 (the boy who loves to nurse and thinks everyone in his preschool must
do it, too!)