From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 11:19:57 -0600
Various thoughts after reading the last two days or so of posts:

The Texas law seems to be aimed at the promotion and marketing of formula.
Which is big business where I live. The formula reps are very entrenched in
the hospitals and some doctor's offices. I have seen formula samples all
over pedi's offices and I have seen formula brochures sitting in waiting
rooms. None of this marketing falls under the category of "medically
necessary."

The key here is "medically necessary." All those free samples sitting around
in the waiting rooms and being given in the diaper bags at hospitals are not
being used in a way that is "medically necessary."

In answer to someone's post, ethics and formula regarding an IBCLC is
covered on the IBLCE web site under FAQs under ethics.

WIC doesn't give pregnant mothers free formula samples. At least not in
Texas, we try to push the breastfeeding and limit the formula. While WIC
does give moms free formula, at least in Texas, we do not have any
advertisements on the wall or use any handouts to promote it. Although just
getting it free is a subtle promotion in itself. We do not use or give out
any information/goodies from a formula company.

Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC