Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 1997 15:11:26 -0500
No, obviously the fact that one mother takes a drug with no *apparent*
effect on the baby means nothing.  That is not the issue.  The issue
is: is breastmilk with a given quantity of drug more hazardous than
infant formula?  The answer in my opinion, is rarely yes.  According
to Dr. Allan Cunningham, not breastfeeding increases the risk of
juvenile diabetes by 3-25%, depending on what you read.  Okay, Frank,
I ask you:  If a drug increased a child's chances of getting juvenile
diabetes by 3%, would that drug still be on the market in the US?

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC