From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Nov 1997 17:18:12 -0600
I often toss out this idea of babies *perhaps* being over-hydrated at birth
due to IV fluids the mother got during labor as a *possibility* to consider
for why the birth weight as measured in most hospitals may not be a very
accurate measure of much of anything.  Other reasons include the speed with
which it is done, the potential inaccuracy of the scales, and the
possibility that no one routinely calibrates the scale to make sure it is
accurate.

My understanding of the local hospital routine, is that ALL MOMS get an IV
saline drip as soon as they are officially admitted to the hospital in
labor.  This is "in case" they need/want labor pain drugs, and also "in
case" they need a blood transfusion.  That means that mothers are getting
extra fluid in their bloodstreams, which can then be passed on to the baby.
I do not know the typical flow rate, but the IV stays in and flowing until
after the baby is delivered.  When I had Alex 6 years ago I had to fight and
fight for a heparin lock during labor instead of a flowing saline IV --
there was extra resistance from my OB because of my history of post-partum
hemorrhage.

I refused to let them weigh Alexander for many hours after his birth,
telling them I knew he was a "whopper" and didn't care how much he weighed.
He weighed 9 lbs. 2.5 oz. after several breastfeedings.

Katherine A. Dettwyler, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Anthropology and Nutrition
Texas A&M University