From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2010 21:10:41 -0700
A mom in my La Leche League group (she does not see me as an LC) called to ask me what to do about a pediatrician who refuses to give another Nystatin prescription to her baby until his saliva test comes back (6 days). Her son, who is 22 months old, had visible, confirmed candida which was treated with nystatin and now has no visible signs.

However, she has been having a great deal of nipple pain while treating it with everything from nystatin cream, to Grapefruit seed extract to gentian violet (she does a lot of website searches and has also tried to get APNO, but MD would not prescribe it).

As she is dealing with military medical insurance, her options to access other physicians is limited.

She reports her pain is NOT deep in the breast, and because the skin is not visibly irritated her MD refuses to treat her.  She does have one white pimple-like cover over a duct, has done various treatments to soften and open it, with no success.  She also has been working to make sure her child latches on correctly.  (He was tongue-tied until 4 months old, had surgery, and has had no pain while nursing until recently when the candida reared its ugly head.)

I did ask about skin color changes after breastfeeding in case we were possibly being fooled by Raynaud's, but she said she did not notice any  - even so, she tried adding warmth to her nipple after feeding and that made no difference in the pain she was feeling.

I've never had this question before and wondered what saliva test would be done and how accurate it might be...  Did I miss a discussion on this sort of test on Lactnet?

I tried to search the Archives...and didn't find anything...and if you "google" 'Candida saliva test' you seem to get a whole lot of links to websites trying to sell you cures...

Jeanette Panchula
...always aware of how little I know!
California, USA