From:
Sarah Barnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 1998 20:23:34 -0500
Mardrey-
        When I first became an LLL leader over 20 years ago we used to
talk about the the "gastro-colic reflex".  I wonder if it still exists?
The theory was (still is?) that the act of sucking and swallowing stimulated
contractions in the entire gastro-intestinal tract.  Some babies were
deemed to be more sensitive to this and seemed to develop cramps for a
few minutes when beginning to suck.  The behaviors that you describe at
the beginning of the feeding match the descriptions that we used to use.
The management procedures are similar to those of forceful let-down i.e.
expressing first to let down and then putting the baby to the breast.
This works because the baby can then suck more slowly and avoid the
overstimulation.  Usually babies do go back to the breast after a while
though.  I wonder if this baby also has a very vigorous suck and really
gets lots of milk in the first few minutes.
        Hope this helps.

Sarah

Sarah Friend Barnett   LLLL, IBCLC
Bronx (New York City), NY  -  [log in to unmask]
" You are not obliged to finish the task,
 neither are you free to neglect it."       R. Tarfon