From:
Judy LeVan Fram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2013 15:30:31 -0500
Ruth writes:

"Long  interested in food security issues, I started participating in the
local food  security council last year.  The purpose of such councils is to
advance  the cause of reliable availability of fresh food to all local
residents.   Many food security activists find author/activist Michael
Pollan's  exposition of "food" informative and inspiring (see
http://michaelpollan.com/books/in-defense-of-food/).

Babies do not  experience the "Omnivore's Dilemma" Pollan so eloquently
articulated in his  bestseller, because they are not omnivores with choices to
make.  They  are completely dependent and do not have the anatomy or
physiology to process  a variety of foods....But we will persevere, and I invite us
to share the  language that will bring it home.  Certainly, "junk" food is
not a  helpful term, and correctly refers to foods that make no pretense of
being  something to live on but are
presented as treats (while being consumed in  my community in quantities
that overwhelm human metabolism).  I have been  using the term "processed
food", and have been emphasizing that HUMAN MILK IS  THE INFANT'S ONLY
ALTERNATIVE TO PROCESSED FOOD."
~~~ OOh Ruth, I have goosebumps ( and not from coming home in the freezing
rain just now...) What a great perspective to share, both here and with the
food  security folks. At a recent Brookyn Food Coalition event, our local
LLL  visionary, Anne January, set up the table with the words "Breastfeeding:
Babies  First Local Food." She said people responded very well to that. And
it very  smoothly dovetails with the concept of "fresh, local" vs
"processed,  canned/stored and shipped from somewhere else". Thank you!

Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL
Brooklyn, NY,  USA