From:
Lydia de Raad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Nov 2009 11:25:13 +0100
I hope I didn't mess up the interpretation of The Code by paraphrasing. I
really think a simple algorithm like I have mentioned would really help
professionals better discern what is and what is not addressed by The Code.

Michelle H. Kinne BA IBCLC RLC ICCE CD(DONA) CLE

------------Thank you Michelle :-) What bothers me (yesssssssssssss I keep
on nagging about it :-)))))) is the next step. Medela is a code-violator,
just as Avent is. If an organisation (whatever type, varying from bf-orgs to
magazines to hospitals) has in their bylaws (or whatever these statement are
called) that they live their life and do the things they do
"WHO-code-compliant", is it no problem then to accept adverts/money etc.
from companies who are code-violators, even if they advert/money doesn't
directly promote ABM, bottles, teats?
I suspect thát part of the discussion belongs on the plate of IBFAN, doesn't
it? It is the "no financial liaisons"- thing, right?

I have sooooooo much (personal!) trouble with te lovey-dovey-baby-mother
adverts on pumps, from Avent and Medela, in magazines which claim to be
"code-compliant". I knów, oh yés I do know pumps are not "under" the code.
But boy, do these adverts annoy me, irritate me.

And taking it one step further: even if the products in the adverts are not
"under" the code, I feel a sort of ethical resistance by putting adverts in
magazins who claim to be "code-compliant". This is where the bigger picture
comes in for me: HA! In the Netherlands we (Medela and Avent) are clearly
present in code-compliant magazines, taraaaaaaa, we are very good companies,
we are endorsed by Important Dutch Magazines.
You understand what I mean?

I'll throw in Yoda one more time. As my motto in my work :-))

Lydia, LLL, Netherlands
Don't try, do. Or do not. There is no try. ~ Yoda