From:
Annie VerSteeg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2005 17:16:43 -0700
Hi All,
A few thoughts in the aftermath of Katrina:
Imagine every recovery triage center with a lactation center. "ALL
MOMS AND BABIES WELCOME HERE". I have always found BFing moms to be
most comfortable with other BFing moms. I don't think many would be
embarrassed or modest for too long if they had a safe place to land
and were surrounded by other people in the same boat. There could be
a pump station and a cleaning station. Consolidate all resources for
each city or triage center.. Lactation Triage... What will it take???
How do we become a part of the recovery?
Even electricity was hard to find in the first days, so was hot water.
Nobody is talking about how hot and humid it is there and how that is
affecting everybody. It has to contribute to the stress and
dehydration of everyone. Especially the littlest babies. I would be
more willing to use clean gatorade/pedialyte/etc then formula made
with less than pure water to get the babies re-hydrated enough to get
to the breast with some strength. Some of the babies I've seen on TV
appear to weak to even know what to do with a breast. After just a
few drops of human milk or gatorade/pedialyte/etc I think they will
remember...'Oh yeah, foooooooood'.
All the homeless animals could use the formula.
One lister asked about where these babies are sleeping, are they safe
in bed or on cots with their parents. If these babies are going to
die, please God, let it be in the arms of someone who loves them.
Annie VerSteeg IBCLC