Date:
Tue, 22 May 2001 19:26:22 -0500
I tell my clients that now that they are breastfeeding mothers, LLL is
their "Professional Organization."  I point out that ILCA is my
Professional Organization and that we share concerns, learnings, and life
stories with other LCs. That is what LLL can do for them.

Sometimes a woman wants ME to be an entire LLL group. I don't want the job
nor can I be that for her. The ones who are reluctant to go to LLL are
often the ones who keep calling me, usually about something not in my
"field.". I know that they are lonely but what they need is a peer group,
not a LC. So, in Clarissa Estes' words, "I must shake them off my teat."

I tell them each time that they need LLL or some other mothers' group where
others are in tune with their concerns and where they will be able to share
what they have learned with someone else. Sometimes I discover that they
have found a group and I am happy for them. I know that they are much
better off there.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Mailto:[log in to unmask]