From:
Janet Bryant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 11:01:39 -0600
I have a mother of a 31wk 5 day old female who has started expressing her
breast.  She was talked into providing breastmilk for her infant by our
chief neonatologist who is currently on service.  She is uncomfortable with
the process but willing to do what is best for her infant.  She did not BF
her two previous children.  She is also going to "attempt to nurse" when the
time comes.  When she returned to their hotel room for the night last night
her other two children had been brought up to stay with the family.  This
mother felt it was necessary to explain to them what she was doing and why,
they are 3 and 5.  The 5 yr. old brother just looked at her and said "I know
all about that" very matter of fact.  She then recalled that their
occasional sitter had breastfed her children and had pumped as well.  The 5
yr. old then went on to say "If you need any help just let me know".  She
allowed him to hold some spare parts.  Out of the mouths of babes.....  She
was much more comfortable with the process today.  I can't wait until she
nurses her infant.
Janet Bryant, RN, BSN, IBCLC
Arkansas Children's Hospital