From:
Chaka Mickle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Aug 2005 07:10:55 -0400
Margaret,

I feel your pain. My hospital is fairly new (6 yrs old). The LC before me
tried to avoid the situation by not having the formula bags to begin with,
but needless to say the manager at the time felt that we needed to offer
them to the patients. So as a happy medium a formula consent was developed
so the patients could have the formula removed and donated to charity. That
lasted several years and was done away with for some reason (after the LC
left). The manager didn't care about breastfeeding rates and extended
breastfeeding, she only cared about her/the hospital's bottom line. Now we
have a new manager who I thought would be in favor of removing the diaper
bags, but she's not. No matter which angle I presented it, it's a battle I
can't win at this point because no one cares but me. I just have to empower
my moms with the knowledge to make educated decisions and increase their
confidence in their ability to breastfeed their baby.

A hospital in my state (a medical university) was able to get rid of them by
looking at their policy on giving out samples and handeling recall issues
with the samples. It was around the time of a JCAHO visit and every one was
looking at compliance issues. They hired a company to conduct a mock JCAHO
visit and the person who visited their unit actually had questions about the
formula samples and the process for notifying patients of a recall (which is
probably why the hospital agreed to remove their diaper bags). So, you could
go that route. That didn't work for me becuase we're so small, the manager
said we'd call everyone who delivered within that time frame.

A funny thing is this past weekend in the NICU where I work prn, there was a
sign for an in-service to be given by Ross on their "New" diaper bags. I
said "you need an in-service on a diaper bag"? They said of course when
they're bringing food...pizza for lunch and Chick-Fil-A for dinner. I wonder
what's in those bags?

Good Luck!

Chaka Mickle MSN,MPH,RN,IBCLC,LCCE