Date:
Sun, 20 Dec 1998 12:45:07 +1100
>I wonder now if doctors in general are no more skilled than *I* am at
>distinguishing between a mildly thrushy tongue and a tongue that's just
>whiter than average.  Lactnet doctors, is this a logical thought sequence?

I'm sure you're right, Diane. As a LC / GP I have a good look in the baby's
mouth - on the examination couch, under a good light. Often the parents
expect you to look in the baby's mouth while they're holding the baby, or
the baby is still in the capsule (this is what the baby has travelled in the
car in, and parents can carry it inside like a basket).

As a doctor, mainly we are looking for something serious - is there a heart
condition that hasn't been picked up?, etc. We are taught that oral thrush
is common in infants, and not very important.

Lisa Amir
GP / IBCLC in Melbourne, Australia - had a soft boiled egg last night - and
couldn't resist trying vegemite on my toast "soldiers". My kids were
horrified - they both hate vegemite! (sorry another cultural stereotype hits
the dust!).