From:
Stuart Black <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 00:22:05 -0800
Dear fellow Lactnetters:
I am writing a paper for university, the subject being an Ethical Dilemma. Of
course I chose breastfeeding. My question to all of you is this: Do you openly
share the information about the hazards of artificial baby milk with your
clients? Im not saying the benefits of breastfeeding here - the studies showing
the potential hazards. I am not "allowed" to include this in prenatal BFing
classes. I am a contract employee working out of a Public Health Unit as the
Breastfeeding Consultant.

The old "we dont want to make anyone feel quilty" is in my face again. Also,
is it right to subject a woman to the "hazards" when so many things/people
stand in the way of her successfully BFing?

The Moms and Dads were most often not breastfed and "were all doing fine". How
do you debate this? I tell them about longterm health benefits, that we really
are not a very healthy society etc and that it is more than just milk.

Back to the original theme here - I am struggling with my own ethical dilemma
here. Working on my BScN, considering Public health but watching people be
so paternalistic with women and their looking like the "good" Nurse because
they give the message that formula is just as good. Will I be selling out?
Can I trust this system with other areas of Public Health if so much info
given out regarding infant feeding is bogus?

We go to the meetings to explore ways to increase Bfing duration/initiation.
Am I going crazy here or what if we openly informed the public about the
potential hazards here, as we do for immunizations, carseats etc. I just dont
get it.
Janet Black, RN,CBC, BScn student
Mission, BC.