From:
Lesley McBurney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 1995 10:23:42 +1000
>Hi! I need your enlightened thoughts.  At my breastfeeding store we are
>having a World Breastfeeding day celebration and I sent out press releases.
>They never worked before so I was very surprised and elated to hear that the
>local CBS affiliate will be here to cover the event at 1pm tomorrow.  Now,
>on the teaser for the 5pm news tomorrow, they are saying "Yes, breastfeeding
>is good but, is it proper to breastfeed in public?"

Hi Linda
Just to give you some moral support, I thought you might like to hear how
our World Breastfeeding Day went.  Our press releases about the presentation
of Mother-friendly Workplace Awards elicited some response, and a great
newspaper article on the previous Saturday, in a prominent place early in
the paper rather than buried at the back, with a large photo showing the
baby (of a mother in the paid workforce) about to latch on the A GREAT BIG
NIPPLE!! No discreet breastfeeding stuff here.  What a long way we've come
in the 30 years since the newspapers wouldn't even print the word
"breastfeeding".  So don't give up; gains can be made.
On the day itself, about a quarter of the dignitaries invited actually
turned up, & one television channel arrived and covered the story
beautifully, although in their local current affairs programme preceding the
news rather than the 6 o'clock news itself.  The guest speaker who has
worked for ten years in a breast clinic spoke about what a wonderful organ
the breast is; another speaker was a woman who has successfully combined
breastfeeding and work and who spoke of how rewarding it had been; then the
spokesmen from the two government departments who won the awards described
in glowing terms the success of their mother-friendly workplace experiments.
One has increased the size of the "carer's room" so that it can be used by
parents with sick children, with computer terminals installed in the actual
room so the carers can work from there, rather than at their usual
workstations.  It was GREAT!

Lesley McBurney, Brisbane, Australia