From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Nov 1996 13:55:44 +0100
I encourage mothers (who aren't battling over or under supply) not to
overthink it - that excellent reasons for taking a baby off or switching
him to the other side are that your arm is tired, you need to answer the
phone, you're bored in that position, you have a cramp in your foot... all
selfish reasons and very mammalian.  An "overthought" reason would be:  "My
baby usually nurses for only 20 minutes.  He's been on this side for 10
already, and if I want him to take the other side enough to drain it well,
I'd better switch him now or he's liable to go to sleep on me."  No other
mammal mother, I'm sure, gives a thought to the baby's caloric state.  When
she makes *herself* comfortable  - and that includes doing things that keep
the young from yapping! - she makes her young comfortable.

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY  USA