From:
Yael Wyshogrod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2000 11:39:39 +0200
This thread has raised many thoughts.  I frequently recommend fenugreek  for increasing milk, though  I do not have fenugreek for the mother to get from me.  I suggest it, and tell her where she can get it.   I feel that suggesting it and having it right there would be more like "prescribing", and I am less comfortable with this, (even though I live in a culture where malpractice suits are not nearly as common as in the U.S.)
As far as "diagnosing",   If a mother appears to have mastitis, I am not comfortable telling her "you have mastitis", rather I'll say something like "your appear to have the  typical symptoms of mastitis".  I feel there is just enough of a difference in both of these examples for me to feel that I am acting comfortably within the realm of my profession.

Yael Wyshogrod IBCLC
Rechovot, Israel