From:
Suzanne Millies <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Oct 1999 13:05:54 EDT
Beck Flora - sounds like the woman you were talking about may have Raynauds
to her nipples.  I usually have women spend a day or so looking at their
nipples or nipple every time they hurt (except when baby on breast, of
course) to see if they're white when there's pain.  Just returned from the
Hale/Newman Super conference in San Diego, and Newman suggests Vitamin B-6
100-200mg/day for 4 days, then 25mg/day thereafter.  Apparently it has worked
in 12-13 out of 15 women he's prescribed it for.  Warmth to the nipples  has
helped for some women I have worked with but not for complete relief.  Then
there's always Nifedipine 30mg/day.  Newman says most get complete relief
from that in 2 weeks and the pain doesn't return usually after it's DC'd.
But  I guess I would try the B vits first - certainly seems more benign.
Good luck, it seems to be quite painful without some intervention.