From:
"Marie L. Hughes" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jun 1999 22:40:53 -0700
Greetings Lactneters-

I am coming out of lurk-mode with a problem I have not been able to solve
through other channels.

I am the custodian of about 900 ounces of EBM that is looking for a good
home. My neighbor pumped this milk while her baby was in the NICU with NEC
and stored it in my deep freeze. She pumped for the entire 10.5 weeks he was
there until she got him on the breast but for about 7 of those weeks she was
on 50mg 2x a day of Atenolol for her blood pressure.

Therefore, all the milk she pumped during that time can not be used by our
local milk bank. (They checked rather thoroughly as they really wanted the
milk so I am assuming no other milk bank will take it either.) However,
Atenolol is approved by the AAP for bfing moms so it seems like this milk
should be good for *something*, perhaps for doing research.

The milk we are giving away was pumped 3/25/99 through 5/6/99 for a
full-term infant (born 3/16/99 at 37 weeks gestation, 7 lb. 4 oz.). The mom
had pre-eclampsia (and was on magnesium) and was induced (pitocen) with a
vaginal delivery. She is free of all known diseases, had standard pre-natal
care and passed all the standard pre-natal tests.

Please e-mail me off-list at mailto:[log in to unmask] if you know the name of
a research organization or other non-profit group that is interested in this
milk. I guess I should state up front that I don't think it is advisable (or
prudent) for me to become a Mommy's Milk broker. That means I am not looking
for a list of individual moms who need to supplement occasionally but for an
organization that uses human milk in its work.

TIA!

Marie H.

Bfing mom to Maggie, 8 mo., Co-Listowner of the Pumping Moms listserv (and
Lactnet lurker)