Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2012 10:22:04 -0400
i just wanted to update and thank everyone for the replies again! i just saw mom and baby yesterday at 3 weeks pp and had the distinct pleasure of watching the little mite latch onto the bigger of the nipples and stay on for a successful feed for almost 20 minutes - for the very first time. don't you love when the mom says the baby did something for the very 1st time just because you showed up? i almost feel guilty accepting any payment! i arrived armed with a 28 mm nipple shield, which i was sure was not big enough. imagine my surprise to see that it was too big! mom's biggest nipple is only about 2 thumb tips (was 3) now, so i can only assume edema (pregnancy hormones?) very likely *was* part of the problem. i've given mom every bit of support i can to finally ditch that last topping-off ounce of formula, here's hoping i've done a good job of convincing her that she has no supply issues, as she was previously told before seeing me.
jacqui gruttadauria, bsw
(near detroit, michigan-USA, where i'm preparing to leave for denver for my son's hospitalization in a few days and love leaving a happy ending before i go!)