From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Apr 2006 13:46:23 +0000
The data don't totally make sense to me because of the early weights. The wt
loss was 7% and the wt gain was 10 oz in 3 days! Was there any jaundice in
the first week?

I would suspect insufficient glandular tissue and that the weights were
inaccurate, particularly the 10 oz gain. I bet the baby was not nude and not
sure what type of scale was used. (I have seen babies with high wt loss turn
around and gain 4-5 oz overnight once supplementation has begun. But I
cannot imagine such a large gain if the mother's milk did not really "come
in.")

If something is different about the night nursings, perhaps the latch is
different at night using another position? This could be investigated as
well.

I would recommend a hospital grade pump instead of a working mom's pump,
perhaps a different supplementer device like Lact-Aid or a simple feeding
tube threaded through a bottle nipple, herbal and/or prescription
galactagogues. Of course, close f/u for baby and mom.

I am not well-versed in vegan diets but it seems mother grew the baby quite
well in pregnancy. But a dietician or nutritionist could help mother assess
her diet if needed.

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
Mississippi, s.e. USA