From:
Pat Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Nov 2011 09:58:21 -0500
> I think my concern with your post a couple of weeks back  was that you
> wrote that a baby not back to birthweight on day 4-5 was worrisome - your
> email of Nov 10 says " If they weren't back to birth weight by day 4, I
> considered baby at risk and could get another vss. If they weren't back to
> birth weight by day 4, it was usually a problem in baby or mom."

Wasn't a typo.  This is what I was seeing in Detroit in early 1990's, less
intervention at birth, less IVs.
I was so commonly seeing babies with adequate access to breast back to Birth
wt on day 4!  Remember they came home at 24 hours.or so after birth  No
nursery to interfere with access :-)  I had to justify a 3rd vss, so I would
use not back to birthwt, meanwhile bolstering mom and her BF.  but even
today when we see babies 48-72 hours after discharge you can see the same
sort of pattern.  No continued wt loss, no back to birth weight at 2 weeks.
My argument is that 2 weeks is too long to intervene!  The first 2 weeks are
setting up mom's milk supply for the future.

Vag deliveries get discharged after "2 days", this is commonly anywhere from
30 -48 hours after birth.  C sec "3 days".  anywhere from 54-72 hours after
birth, again depending on the time of day of birth :-(  I wish we could see
more home births or Birthing center births.  I'm reading Marian Tompson's
book about her "unexpected life".  She talks about how hospitals just aren't
the place to give birth.  In NJ we have 2 day and 3 day stays because there
is NO followup.  We had some tragedies way back that forced the hospitals to
go with 2 & 3 days, instead of the 24 hour discharge.  I know the homebirth
moms have followup around here by the midwife who delivers.