From:
Rhoda Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 18:23:03 -0800
>.  And 23 years ago, I'd gladly have suffered embarrassment rather than
>let the public think I'd chosen formula for my son.  But in 23 years, this
>simple little battle still isn't won.  In nearly a quarter century of
>advocacy, we still haven't managed this basic step."

Diane, We have managed the step in pockets... Locally we hear more women
embarrassed and apologizing for bottle feeding a young infant although
sadly that doesn't hold for those over 6 months.We even had one unfortunate
incident where a woman was bottle feeding expressed milk in a local Tim
Hortons (a popular donut restaurant in Canada) when a man crossed the
restaurant to confront her about 'feeding poison to her baby'.  She was
someone who had worked extremely hard to breastfeed but the infant was
unable to do so. She pumped and bottled for months. So now we are trying to
educate our community that method of feeding is none of anyone's business
except the family's whether it is bottle feeding at a month or
breastfeeding at 6 years. I wonder how this is dealt with in the other
areas with similar initiation rates.