From:
Larry D'Anna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 1996 20:03:00 -0700
On Sept 6, 1996 in post #21424 Chris Mulford wrote a very thought provoking
post on uric acid crystals.  One thing that was speculated about was just
when the uric acid crystals precipitated.  Chris wondered if anyone has
actually seen a baby pee pink urine.

Well, I just saw this as I was doing circumcision care on a 2 day old
infant.  He voided an arch of urine over the crib.  I'd estimate the total
volume to be 15 to 30 mls.  The urine started out clear but amber in color,
proceeded to a cloudy state then to a very cloudy state then to THICK,
salmon colored bit at the very end.  The baby was laying flat on his back.

History included scant voids in the first 24 hours, first void was toward
the end of that first day.  None of the first 3 voids were noted as having
brick duct.  The void I observed was baby's 4th.  He was voiding every 3 - 4
hours at that point.

His pediatrician agreed this was a transitional phenomenon but wanted to
know if it continued.  Mom was discharged soon after this so I have no
follow-up.  Breastfeeding was proceeding well, with the only concern up to
this point being baby's late start with first voiding.  We gave mom a
breastfeeding log with instructions on expected voids and BMs and
instructions to call her very supportive pediatrician if more brick dust
urine occurred or if pees/poops were low.

So, yes, I have seen a baby pee pink and it was concentrated at the end of
the void.  The crystals colored the urine to a light pink/white where it
landed on the plastic crib and the flannel blanket as well as the diaper
both screened out the salmon colored crystals and allowed the urine to sink in.

Carla D'Anna (just north of Washington, DC)
Carla (just north of Washington, DC)