From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 15:34:31 -0500
Congratulations, Anne!
"I didn't get into it with him, and I'm wondering how would be the best way
to address my concerns. As an IBCLC I feel a responsibility to do
something..."

You know, I think your best response in this case would be as a mother and
as a consumer of this doc's services. Because you *are* an IBCLC, you know
all the stuff, and you could find the best articles in the world - but I
have a hunch that what changes doctors' minds is as much what their patients
tell them/show them as whatever scholarly articles may cross their desks.

If he were going to be swayed by the facts, he would be aware of the AAP
position on BFing and other widely-publicized "reasons". As his patient, you
can just smile sweetly and tell him that you know how important it is to
breastfeed your children for as long as both you & they wish, and you will
cope with whatever discomforts or nuisances he is imagining will be coming
your way (which I always have a hard time imagining that these misinformed
docs or other hcp's are all that concerned about anyway, since when you *do*
have a concern they usually just brush it aside...). Anyway, you have a
chance to *really* educate him, by *showing* him your healthy, thriving,
wonderful nursing baby.

I would love it if more happily nursing moms were able to just let a little
of that joy and their own conviction about the worth of the process shine
through to their docs! It doesn't sound like you have a bad relationship
with this guy, so maybe you have a better chance of building on that
relationship with him and *showing* him some of the good stuff than if you
were to bombard him with articles.

I know that when I was scouting for mothers to train as peer counselors in
WIC, I would be keeping my eyes open for the ones whose mothering showed
some light and joy, rather than the always-earnest grim ones who could
deliver a lecture on why women "should" breastfeed but whose own faces
didn't show any glimmer or enjoyment of the process with their own kids.

Ever-optimistic....
Cathy Bargar, RN, IBCLC
Ithaca NY