From:
Jeanne Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 May 1997 15:06:31 -0400

<<
 Looking for opinions on what this lump might be.
 I saw a woman in my WIC clinic yesterday that presented with moderate
 engorgement and a golf ball sized lump.  Over the phone it had sounded
 like a plugged duct and several medical professionals brushed her off as
 well (from phone description).  However I was very surprised when I saw
 it.  It isn't really on the breast it is under the armpit.  More like a
 swollen lymphnode. It is tender and sore. Did not appear to be hard but
 I did not palpate it.  I let her pump a bit to relieve engorgement while
 she was there, told her to make sure she nurses every two hours and to
 try various positions.  I explained about heat prior to nursing and ice
 inbetween to relieve swelling. And then referred her to her OB for
 evaluation.  Did I do OK or am I missing something.
 --
 Warmllly, Ilene >>

Ilene,
Could this be a supernumary nipple?  Some women have excess mammary tissue
under the arms.  If you get a chance, do palpate the whole swollen area
(gently) to see if there is any leaking from a nipple pore.  There may be
something that looks like a mole, or just a large pore.  Then check the other
side for extra swelling as well.

I do definately believe she needs to be evaluated by her OB.  It could be a
swollen lymph node or something more serious.  But extra breast tissue is
fairly common and pain can be relieved with keeping a cabbage compress
directly on the site until it resolves.

Let us know,
Jeanne Fisher
Austin, TX