Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 06:43:01 -0400
The archives of Lactnet will indeed have a lot on this.  As for making
changes to standing protocols without references, perhaps the ethics
committee of the hospital would be interested in this?  I believe they
should have to have references to back up their statements...not the other
way around...you having to prove what is already a given.  In any case, the
ethics committee is one place to begin this dialogue.

I would look at the AAP 1997 statement on breastfeeding. There are tons of
references there.  Also, if you look at the FAQ section of Medela, there
are fully referenced FAQS, one on Colic, I believe, that ties cow milk
allergen to colic, and what is in formula but cow's milk protein?

Is this a not to subtle way of supporting formula in the hospital, perhaps
due to financial reimbursement at the high level?

Interesting, though unethical, if it is the case.

As for dental references, check out LLL's pages. www.lalecheleague.org. I
have resent an older note to Lactnet of Nancy Wight MD's.

I wonder if change such as this could be made as quickly if there were not
financial issues at stake, or , for instance, ...consider, could you make
such changes in so rapid a fashion in order to support breastfeeding
duration and quality in your hospital, without references?  I doubt it.

Wondering what is REALLY up with this.

Kathleen

>I'm looking for some help please quickly - to cut a long story short a
>hospital is pushing thro' some procedures that our 'breastfeeding experts'
>don't agree with.  I know i've seen this information somewhere probably
>here, but havn't the time to search archives - the procedures are imminent
>unless we can find some references.
>
>1.  Refs to say that dental carries are NOT caused by nightime
>breastfeeding. (~i'm checking out Brian Palmer)
>2.  Refs to say that colic tends to be more common in formula fed babies
>than breastfed (or breastfed babies suffer less from colic!!)
>
>Thanks very much, please feel free to email me privately.
>
>Regards
>Pam
>ABM BFC UK
>(wishing I was more organised when keeping references!!)

>LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
>mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
>http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet
Independent Consultant
http://homepages.together.net/~kbruce/kbblact.html
LACTNET Archives http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html