Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 13:09:27 +0100

>And how does this relate to the idea that breastfeeding (all other things
>being equal) can help a mother lose pregnancy weight?  Does it?  Are any of
>you still telling mothers this?

No, I don't mention it unless it comes up as a question - and it often does
in a class. Experience and observation tells me this is *hugely* variable
between individuals, and that's what I say.   I have never seen anything
properly researched that says it is worth telling mothers it will happen.

It 'ought' to happen - the fat most of us gain in pregnancy could be used
up with bf, but it seems to stick around even so, for some women. OTOH I
have seen women lose a lot of weight in a few months which they attribute
to bf - this was the reason Posh Spice gave when she was accused of being
too thin by the newspapers (she only bf a few weeks though).

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK