From:
ekua sharp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Sep 1998 22:26:41 -0400
Kathy,
I agree with you completely about the risks involved in expecting a mother
who uses cocaine to be more responsible in caring for her baby by using
formula than breastfeeding.  That logic only 'relieves' her of the
responsibility and benefits she might realize by making it more convenient
for others to take the baby.  Lord knows foster care is not always an
answer, especially when the dier need for homes only produces more problems
because our society minimizes the value of child care.  Everyone want to
know where 'to put' the children for cheap cheap cheap!!!  What a
foundation for bringing up human beings!!!

        It's a wonder that the joy of nurturing through breastfeeding is so
easily overlooked, disregarded, fraught with guilt provoking notions ("Like
if it feels good and warm it can only be sexual and therefore illicit")
rather than a great source of joy and resolution.

Thanks to all for the great joy reflected here.  For this alone its great
reading.

Ekua #