From:
"A. Eagles" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 1996 12:55:40 -0600
As some of the messages have been discussing World Breastfeeding Week,
I wanted to bring up a thought I had about last year.  I moved away
from the city where I had worked as a hospital-based LC before WBW last
year.  A couple of my friends sent me an article from the newspaper
that said that the LCs at the hospitals in that area, on a suggestion
from that region's ILCA group had passed out breast-shaped lollipops to
the peds and OBS in honor of WBW.  Well, I apologize in advance to any
Lactnetters who may have thought up this idea...but frankly, I was
appalled.  Am I the only one who thought this to be in poor taste (not
meaning to make a pun)?  I kept thinking about how hard all of us work to
have our profession taken seriously and this seemed to me to trivialize
it so much.  I could only think of the mom who had spent nights crying
over her breastfeeding problems catch sight of a ped sucking on a
breast-shaped lollipop and feeling totally demoralized.  I don't
know...it felt like a stab...a step backwards.  Maybe I need to lighten
up...but I was embarrassed that any of the HCPs at the hospital I
worked at might have thought that was my idea....anyway, just curious
how others felt about this....did other regions of the country have
this as part of their WBW celebration?  Anyway, I know I won't be
making breast-shaped lollies this year.