Date:
Tue, 22 Sep 2015 17:37:45 -0700

Hello

You will probably find good information on Kellymom.com

http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/bfhelp-tonguetie/

From experience, any position where bottom is lower than the head will be less painful, with nipple pointing toward the baby's palate.

Also, I learned from asian mothers that mothers can give EBM with bottle in between nursing session until baby is big enough... around 3-6 month old.

For bottlefeeding, we found easier to teach parents to give bottle using the same technic as breastfeeding (top lip stimulation, wide mouth) using bottles with wide openings, but avoid the ones with long hard nipples.

You can check movies about pace feeding.

Another thing: bottle should be given in a way that it gives a very different experience in the baby's mind: new smells (dad), new rocking chair (different swinging movement), different light (closed or further from window), holding baby not close to the body (facing the adult giving bottle), etc. AND making sure baby drinks with that wide opened mouth with the bottle.

And she should make sure that pain is not increasing, because she will still be breastfeeding between those 2-4 bottles (or more?... rarely) per day.

I hope this helps. No evidence base science, only trial and error in pour facility.

Good luck!

Manon Forcier, nurse B.Sc.

Montréal, QC, Canada