From:
Kathy Warmbier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Apr 1998 16:13:37 -0700
I got a call from a mom about allergies in her 2 mo. old totally
breastfeeding baby. Baby has been having explosive mucousy stools.  Wt gain
good. EOS level is elevated at 11.  Ped, who mom reported did not seem to
be very gung ho about breastfeeding, told mom to stop breastfeeding and
give alamentum for 3 days. Mom called me for help.  No way is she going to
stop breastfeeding, she is of course afraid baby will not go back to the
breast. Also 2 other children have severe allergies and when she weaned the
last one he had to be on alamentum  for months at a cost by the way of
almost $200.00 a month. We discussed using a rotation diet, going off dairy
as everyone in the family is sensitive to it, using alternatives for the
common grain allergies and avoiding corn products.  Can anyone suggest some
good reading for this mom.  She will read anything and I did suggest
Tracking down hidden food allergies. Any thing else to help this mom?
TIA from both of us .