From:
Darillyn Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:40:18 -0600
I just wanted to specify that the reason goat milk MUST be diluted with
water for an infant is because of the high mineral content (also referred to
as "ash").  An infant  being fed a goat milk (or cow's milk) formula which
did not include the addition of water, regardless of what else was added to
it, has his kidneys overloaded and is put in danger of serious injury, or
death.  Perhaps the parents of the baby who has been diagnosed with
hypernatremia do not understand what hypernatremia means and/or that the
cause is that the baby's immature kidneys cannot manage the high levels of
sodium in undiluted goat milk.  If that was explained to them and they still
refused to change what they were feeding their baby, I think a call to child
protection would be most appropriate.  They are not just feeding their baby
something that might lack some elements of adequate nutrition.  They are
feeding him something that could do serious damage.  Even the horrible
watered down evaporated milk and corn syrup formula, that I, and many
others, had to get by on as babies, was safer for feeding an infant!

Darillyn