Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 2011 18:51:07 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
Okay so it seems i keep running into abnormal issues. 
Permission to post:
Infant is 4 days old. Breastfed in the hospital. Mother was provided a manual breast pump by nurse because her nipples were flat and 'it would help'. Mother did not use the pump while in the hospital but once they got home infant started to reject the breast. Yesterday they could not get infant to nurse so mother started to use the pump a few times. She called me today because infant is still not latching. Mother did mention some blood in the breastmilk and i thought 'normal'. 

BUT

I saw them today. After attempting to have infant nurse unsuccessful i had mother pump (to have EBM to try to get infant to nurse). After a minute I looked down and mother was pumping blood. It looked like tomatoe soup. (This is not the light pink that is normal). Both breast were the same. The nipples did not show any damage to them. 

I didn't know what to do for this mother. The infant is not latching but has lost significant weight so he has to be feed. He will not drink the breastmilk. I told mother to try to do some light hand expressing but not to pump and nothing forceful on the breast. I am confused on saving milk supply versus damage control on the breast. 

Jessica Callahan RN, IBCLC
USA, NC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2