Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 15:36:25 EDT
To all the Wise ones:  Today I saw a 4 day old baby girl, readmitted with
dehydration and hyperbilirubinanemia.  The Mom had been hospitalized for 4
weeks from GA30-34 weeks, discharged on meds for preterm labor, and had SROM
at 36 Wks.had labor agmented with pit, and had a quick labor and delivery.
Only med Neubaine, l time.  Breastfeeding took time, and Mom felt
contractions in uterus, when feeding, in the Hospital, she fed q 3 hours, on
discharge she started every 1 1/2 to 2 hour feeds, and on her first day at
home, tried to rouse baby to feed, without sucess, in the afternoon, she took
baby for bili test at ped's.  Mentioned that baby had not fed all day, and
lips were dry, wt went from 6 pounds 4 oz to 5 pounds 11oz. Dr. readmitted
baby and started IV, baby had breastfeed last night well, three times, but
since 4 am this morning will not feed, doesn't even take EBM from bottle
well.  This mom is pumping and has a good supply, Baby is under bili lights,
and I think is hydrated from IV now and is tired.  I have encouraged Mom to
do Skin to Skin, and see if baby will route, offer breast, try cup or finger
feed, but most importantly to feed the baby her milk.  Do any of you have
additional suggestions as to how to wake this baby up, or will she on her own
begin when she has easy access to the breast.  The Dr. doesn't want to d/c IV
until baby suckling agressively.  You may E-mail me or share your suggestions
with the list.  Thank you for your help.  Martha Rhea, IBCLC, ICCE