From:
Darlene A Breed <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Aug 2000 23:43:38 -0400
>  How do we convince the pediatricians to have LCs in their office ?
> The
> babies and mothers could have had their "tune-up "  before they ever
> left
> the office the first time and saved all the extra trips and visits
> and
> angst.
I know that managed care has a lot to do with the fact that the money is
not being used for any extra help in the offices.  I believe every pedi
should have an LC.  I always tell the pedi and family practice residents
how vital LCs are to their practice.  I give an inservice to our
residents each rotation.  Only one hour, but better than nothing.
> There are a few ped offices that have an LC dedicated to the needs
> and
> concerns of the nursing mothers and babies , but this  practice
> should be
> the rule not the exception.
I know that the usual practice in this area is to have the RN be more
than the LC in the office.  She may be the LC, but she is also the office
RN.  I wish I knew how to have an LC in all pedi and family practice
offices available to help right there.  It would be much easier for the
mother that's for sure.

Thank you,
Darlene Breed, BSN, RN, IBCLC
Coordinator, Milk Bank & Breastfeeding Center, Worcester, MA (USA)
Treasurer, Human Milk Bank Association of North America (HMBANA)