From:
Susan Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 14:39:14 -0800
Thanks for the tip, Janice.  Quoting from the website:

“To get an idea of what bottlefeeding mothers are up
against, let's just take a quick look at a few letters
to the editors that have appeared in recent magazines
and newspapers:

The World Health Organization and UNICEF rank
acceptable infant feedings as follows: first,
breastfeeding; second, the mother's own milk expressed
for her child; third, milk from another human mother;
and fourth, artificial baby milk. No baby deserves
fourth best, whatever the circumstances.

-Diane Wiessinger”

Love this!  And Diane should feel honored to be
recognized as the formidable force she is -– but a
force against misinformation, not mothers.  Note
Diane's lack of credentials.  I don't know whether her
original letter included fancy letters or not (Diane,
do you remember?), but I think the site attempts to
showcase an unreasonable, angry mom.  It's
interesting, too, that indirectly quoting WHO/UNICEF
isn't seen as trouble for this American author.

Janice is right:  this website gives a nice overview
of current propaganda.  The book pits Bf mothers
against AF mothers when actually it is AIM
manufacturers waging battle, not mothers.

On the plus side, the book sat for months on the shelf
of our local Barnes & Nobles store when it first came
out.  A manager (after stocking far more popular Bf
books on my recommendation) occasionally sidled up to
me when I wandered in to report, "Still haven't sold
one!"  Eventually we both lost interest.

Susan Johnson  MFA, IBCLC
Salt Lake City, USA