From:
"Johnson, Martha (Lactation-SHMC)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 10:55:41 -0800
Hi Diane et al,
I learned about RPS last year from Jean, and have been using it, and
teaching it DAILY, in my hospital practice.  Even if moms are not engorged
yet, the vast majority have nipple and/or breast edema from IV fluids.  How
many hospital birthing moms have you seen who did NOT have an IV in labor?
Between epidurals (I used to work L&D,and trust me, you start IVs with an
18g cath, and run it wide open, the idea being to get at LEAST a liter of
fluid on board before the anesthesiologist gets there); labor inductions;
and c-sections, it is really hard to find a postpartum woman in an American
hospital who does not have swollen nipples.  Jean also points out that
pitocin exacerbates the problem of edema, as it competes for
vasopressin-binding sites, and thus slows down diuresis.

This is all highlighted for me due to having practiced for >10 years in an
out-of-hospital birth center where no-one got an IV unless they were
dehydrated and could not keep oral fluids down.
I would love to study this, does anyone have ideas for study design?
Martha Johnson RN IBCLC
Eugene OR