From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 05:00:13 +0000
Thanks, Peg, for giving the update and this serves as a lesson to us all.
Not only to look for horses first - breastfeeding mismanagement and bad
advice often top the list of causes of bf difficulties - but to ask detailed
questions and never assume. Peg said "The LC who took the call asked mom if
she had been pumping.  Mom said yes, she was pumping with the pump from the
hospital and not getting anything. Bev assumed she had a rental pump, but
what mom had was the pump kit and she had been using the hand pump that came
with it." I will share some recent experiences to wit:
1. the mom of a premie baby (about 10 days old I think) was bringing in
expressed breastmilk for her baby, of which she had alot. the nursery nurses
reported to me the mom was pumping and doing well. i visited the mom and
asked about her expressing etc. she had cut back to pumping once a day becoz
she had more milk than the baby was taking. This baby was still in
incubator, and not directly bf yet. This led into a review of continuing
optimum expressing etc.
2. another mom of a premie baby (transported to a different hospital)was
saying her pump just stopped working. it was a medela lactina of which she
had got on loan from the US WIC program. over the phone, i talked her thru
making sure it was all setup properly etc. on further conversation she was
using it singly but leaving the second setup hooked up and open to air
therefore the pump was not able to create suction. she resumed double
ppumping successfully and i explained to her how to use it singly if she
needed or preferred that.
I hope you believe me when I say I do instruct and give written info to
these moms on all the ins and outs of expressing, cleaning, storing, etc and
give info and promote kangaroo care. but they do not absorb it all, can you
blame them.? So this is a lesson to all of us too on how important follow=up
is and followup by a good bf helper.

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
New Orleans Louisiana, s.e. USA