From:
Pia Ruohotie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 18:47:54 +0000
Hello all Lactnetters!

I am posting a little follow-up about a case I wrote in May. I asked
if it possible to get milk by pumping if a mother has resieved a
medication to stop milk production right post partum. The baby had
a severe congenital heart problem. I heard about the case last
weekend.

The mother had luckily got bromocriptine so she just quit taking it after
only a couple of days. She started pumping and got milk tostore. Some
of her milk was given to the baby but sadly he did not survive and died
soon. The mother told to the lay counsellor (who asked my advice) that
she is very happy about her decision to express milk for the baby. She
does not regret a second. It helps her because she knows that she did
the one thing only she could do for her seriously sick baby-boy.

The HCP:s chose for her that she could not express milk. They thought that
it would make things worse if she loose her baby. As a breastfeeding
counsellor and a RN I know that (own) mothers milk is best for almost every
baby. As a mother of the seriously sick child I know that loving is always the
best choise whether I loose my child or not. For the baby breastfeeding or
getting his/her own mothers milk means love.

Thank you about the advice that gave the mother a chance to deside.

Best wishes,
Pia Ruohotie, RN and a breasteeding counsellor
from Helsinki, Finland, Europe
Mother of two daughters