From:
Megan Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 10:37:22 -0400
Dear Tina,

I can only offer you my experience as a mom of breastfed indentical twins
(born 11/98). They were not very small at birth, and we had no
complications whatsoever. The boys were 6'1 and 6'11 at 38 weeks
gestation, vaginal delivery, no meds, no medical problems with the babies
other than relux. Having nursed a baby before the twins, I felt confident
that I could just follow their lead and nurse them without much thought. I
did keep track of their output for a week or so. Both babies nursed well,
though not for very long during each nursing session: it was the typical
wake, eat, then fall asleep again 5 minutes into a feed. I always tried to
alternate each breast with each baby as to avoid "assigning" a breast for
each one. Each baby would nurse on one breast per feeding, which is why
according to my theory, they gained so well. I think feeding at one breast
per feeding allowed them access to the hindmilk that most singletons may
miss out on as they are usually switched over to the other breast during
the feed. My twin on the otherhand were able to suckle their enitre
feedings on just the one breast, therefore reaching more of the fattier
milk. Pediatricians and nurses did not believe me when I would
reply "breast" when asked "breast or bottle" during well baby check ups!
They were excl. breastfed until 5 months old.

Weights (thanks to records in their baby books):

12 days old:
larger twin 7 lbs,
smaller twin 6'7

17 days old:
larger twin 7'9,
smaller twin 7'4

4 weeks:
larger twin 9'2
smaller twin 8'14

9 weeks:
larger twin 13'15
smaller twin 13'9

4.5 months
larger twin 17'7
smaller twin 17'9

6 months
larger twin 19'13
smaller twin 19'11

In my humble opinion I would pay less attention to the sizes and wieghts
of these twins and pay MORE attention to how well each one is
breastfeeding. I know of many cases where the smaller twin is the more
aggressive eater, so size does not always seem to coincide with eating
abiliites... I would also not worry too much about the hindmilk issue, as
in my experience the babies do manage to get their fill of it when nursing
one breast. If mom is nursing one baby per breast (unassigned) per
feeding, I think this will also reduce worry and stress for her -- with
twins, the last thing you need is to be worried about anything but just
nursing. Adding in pumping and switch nursing might lead to more stress
for mom when things are going fine without these added tasks. Keeping
track of diapers and doing some breast compressions in my opinion are good
places to start.

Just my 2 cents as a once tired, stressed out mom of nursing twins,

Megan