From:
Winifred Mading <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Dec 2006 10:58:13 -0600
I suspect it is because of the emotional overlay (or perhaps integral
entwinement?) that seems to occur with breastfeeding.  I wonder if there
are any other health care decisions/actions that have as much of this.  My
personal impression is that the ones who have never had an opportunity to
breastfeed (or in the case of males, who have not had the opportunity to
have a partner breastfeed) are more open to learning how to counsel BF moms
than those who chose not to or were not "successful".  Lack of knowledge
and training is much more easily overcome than the emotional factor.  One
of the most effective early LCs I knew was a single woman with no children,
yet she stood in the forefront of breastfeeding promotion and support.
In any counseling relationship, having a common personal experience can be
helpful or an interference depending on how well one uses, overcomes and/or
knows when to shut up about her (or his) own experience.

Winnie