From:
Naomi Bar-Yam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2005 07:55:42 -0500
> My primary objective is to illustrate first the importance of
> breastfeeding
> for both emotional and physical reasons.  I want to then highlight how
> the
> policy causes the mother/child breastfeeding relationship to be
> interrupted
> and would ideally conclude the report with numbers explaining how much
> money the welfare system would save if they supported and encouraged a
> mother's choice to breastfeed.
>
> .... I am unsure of where to find numbers to prove that breastfeeding
> would
> eventually save "the system" a great deal of money.  Do you have any
> suggestions for me?"

Do you have an idea what the supervisor would like in a report? How
long it should be? Who will see it? How it will be used? That
information will help you focus the proposal. Without specific info, I
would keep it short, a couple of pages, put a couple of impressive
numbers about how much money they can save (I imagine such info is
available from WIC) and give them mostly info on how they can implement
such a policy. Are there other programs in other parts of the country
that have implemented such programs. What he needs is info on how to do
this! Again, WIC will be a good source of info. Also, Texas has done
some amazing things with breastfeeding friendly policies everywhere,
workplace, WIC etc. I don't have their website offhand, but if you look
under Texas and breastfeeding, I'm sure it'll come up.

Good luck pursuing this and keep us posted on progress. Hopefully,
soon, others will be writing to you for info on how to implement such a
program.

Naomi Bar-Yam

Naomi Bar-Yam Ph.D.

Researcher, Writer, Educator