From:
Pat Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 08:28:06 -0600
I have not read the book, but saw the video before we started discussing
this on Lactnet.  What I have been looking for and not found is information
on the "calming reflex".  I have worked with infants for a long time and
have no research or other information about this reflex.
Infants are pretty different from each other and do well with different
things, but I am not a huge proponent of infant swings. My sister calls them
the "Neglectomatic."
I have seen Nils Bergman's research as well and wonder what the Cortisol
levels are in those swaddled, swinging infants.  I wonder if they are calm
or just depressed.
I imagine that there are infants who are able to better organize by being
swaddled for short times, those little flailers that we have all seen, but
those are individual infants.
I also think that infants cry for a reason and think that things should be
explored before trying the 5 S's.  I see infants who need total quiet and
dim lights to feed and others who prefer a constant stream of conversation.
I would doubt that there is a one best way to calm all infants.
If someone can send some research or information about the "calming reflex",
I would appreciate that.

Thanks,

Pat Thomas PHN IBCLC
Winona County Community Health