Date:
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 14:12:33 EDT
Does this mom know for sure that her breast implant has ruptured?
Tom Hale does cover silicone breast implants in his Medications and Mother's
Milk book.  He states in part "It is not known for certain if ingestion of
leaking silicone by a nursing infant is dangerous.  Although one article has
been published showing esophageal strictures, it has subsequently been
recalled by the author.  Silicone by nature is extremely inert and is
unlikely to be absorbed in the GI tract by a nursing infant although good
studies are lacking.  Silicone is a ubiquitous substance, found in all foods,
liquids, etc."
Just checked his web page and found a research article on silicone implants.
The authors found "We concluded that lactating women with silicone implants
are similar to control women with respect to levels of silicon in their
breast milk and blood. Silicon levels are 10 times higher in cow's milk and
even higher in infant formulas."  Click on <A
HREF="http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/lact/html/silicone.html">Silicone</A> or go
to http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/lact/html/silicone.html
And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Mylicon (simethicone) primarily
silicone?
Cynthia D. Payne, IBCLC
In the Berkshires of western Massachusetts