From:
Lori Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Oct 2003 15:10:22 -0500
I would like to add another possitve example of breastfeeding in the first
hour after a c-section.

My daughter recently gave birth by unplanned c-section... baby stuck in
posterior postion and would not turn, would not decend  :(    She gave
birth at 12:17pm and baby was to breast by 1pm

This works because the mother and baby are kept together after the surgery
for recovery ..they actually recover in the room they will spend the rest
of their hospital stay in.  The nurses were all ready to help with
positioning (which can be tricky after a c-section as you all know) ... but
of course let me assist once they realized I do this for a living!   The
baby never actually left the mother at any time and no one even thought
about giving the baby a bottle.   For those that may be thinking my
daughter was given special priveledges because I am a nurse....she actually
delivered at a hospital I do not work at and most of the staff had no clue
I was a RN/IBCLC until after the baby was born and I asisted with the
breastfeeding.

What is even nicer is that this is actually the standard of care at all 3
hosptials in the area I live.  So most mothers who experience a c-section,
can nurse the baby very quickly afterward if they choose.

Lori Peters RN/IBCLC
Kenosha WI