Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 14:33:05 EDT
Carol,
<< and famous breastfeeding support groups "aren't allowed" to dis formula, so
 why should moms think it is bad?  >>
    I think there is a difference between DISing formula, or alternately
stating the risks of its use in relation to the physiologic norm, and DISing
formula feeding moms. Anytime we state the facts about breastfeeding we are
in effect stating that formula is not equal to it. Support groups, as far as
I know, can mention that WHO considers AIM 4th choice for feeding, statistics
and knowledge can be quoted about the differences between breasffeeding and
formula feeding. You are right this is a delicate matter, though. There are
often a variety of moms in different places in their mothering growth, and
some may have indeed formula fed earlier children, or  be mixing feeds now,
and they need the support to grow in their knowledge, and make healthier
choices as they are able. We can support their mothering without supporting
AIMfeeding, but Heaven knows it's one of the hardest and trickiest parts of
counseling...
Judy LeVan Fram, Brooklyn, NY