From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 13:51:17 -0700
I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has done prolactin
testing on moms with supply problems. I use Ruth Lawrences's reference
range from her text as my standard for normal and questionable, but
realize that there is at least one other source out there with slightly
different reference ranges for lactation. I've had several moms with
supply problems whose prolactin was at the bottom of the acceptable
range from pretty early on. For instance:

Current mom had slow lactogenesis II and still not enough milk at 7 wks
pp. Normal looking breasts, needed some assistance in getting pregnant
after coming off of the pill. At one month her PRL was 119, having
started reglan a couple days before that. AT 6 wks her PRL was 59.6.
These are baseline numbers. Lawrence's range for 10-90 days pp is
60-110. While the one month number looks ok, two weeks later she is at
about 60 and supply diminishing while still on reglan.

I do not have experience with good supply PRL levels-- only with poor
supply. I'm curious as to what others have seen in PRL testing.

Lisa Marasco